Jessica
Davis
ENGL 4420
5/14/2015
ENGL 4420
5/14/2015
Use
of Outside References to Enrich Poetry Reading
One of the things I found most
fascinating about this class was the use of outside references and resources to
help flesh out the understanding of a poem. In many cases, these poems were
fine on their own—we could understand the basic gist of what was going on, or
get at a base-level comprehension of the poem’s setting, speaker, and purpose—but
by doing a little research, we were able to come to a fuller understanding of
what the poet was trying to convey. I found that in some cases, the poet was
purposefully directing us to do further research on words or concepts used.
This was true of such poems as Angie Estes’ “Rhapsody,” which required some
work with the Oxford English Dictionary, or Paisley Rekdel’s “Arctic Scale,” which
meant hunting down the Subhankar Banerjee photography on which she was writing.
In other cases, particularly poems from a century ago or older, we were
required by changing language and culture to go back and expand our
understanding of certain references. Some poets even made deliberate reference
to mythology, Christianity, folklore, etc. I really enjoyed the times when I
could latch onto an unfamiliar idea in a poem and go Googling to figure out
what it meant by itself and in the context of the larger poem—it was kind of
like an Internet scavenger hunt, but the prize was better understanding great
writing. The three poems I’m going to focus on for this final blog post are “The
Mower Against Gardens,” “Ozymandias,” and “The Work.” Each has at least one
reference that enriches your understanding of the poem by researching it.
Andrew Marvell’s “The Mower Against
Gardens” gave me some trouble, but doing some additional research did actually
help me understand it. The first thing I did after reading it was head straight
to the Oxford English Dictionary to
look up “mower,” thinking that it surely couldn’t mean what it means now, a
lawnmower. In fact, the first definition on the OED reads as follows: “A person who cuts grass, etc., with a scythe
or (now usually) a mowing machine”, and the earliest reference is from 1225. With
this knowledge of what the title meant, I was better able to come up with my
own interpretation of the poem. I saw the Mower as mankind in general,
interfering with nature—“With strange perfumes he did the roses taint; / And
flowers themselves were taught to paint … He grafts upon the wild the tame”,
etc.—to make the garden after his own idea of how it should look and function.
I thought of this as a sort of act of defiance against God, who of course
created nature—taking His creation and bastardizing it to make it prettier,
more. This also goes against nature itself, whose beauty comes from its
wildness instead of an outside force cultivating it.
This reading, however, is harder to
come by when given more context about depictions of a “mower” in Medieval
manuscripts. On the site Hay in Art (http://www.hayinart.com/003277.html)
we can see many depictions of normal men using scythes outdoors, but as Dr.
Porter pointed out in class and on the blog, it was often common for Death
itself to be personified as a skeletal figure wielding a scythe, as in “Denise
Poncher before a Vision of Death,” below.
If the Mower in the poem is actually
Death, then what can be made of the poem itself? I honestly found this
confusing, but maybe a couple of places in the poem point to an interpretation.
In lines five and six, the poet describes the Mower’s actions: “He first
enclosed within the gardens square / A dead and standing pool of air”. “Dead”
could certainly be connected to Death, but what then of the cultivation of living
plants? It’s hard for me to understand, personally, but knowing what “mower”
means and who the Mower Against Gardens could be adds a layer of depth to the
poem when trying to interpret it.
A later poem that was clarified for
me by research was Percy Shelley’s “Ozymandias.” Most of the poem consists of
the speaker/poet quoting someone else’s account of a statue in the desert,
which he describes as “Two vast and trunkless legs of stone” which “Stand in
the desert…Near them, on the sand, / Half sunk, a shattered visage lies”. On
the pedestal, the speaker continues, are these words: “‘My name is Ozymandias,
king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!’”
With some quick research over at the
British Museum (http://www.britishmuseum.org/explore/highlights/highlight_objects/aes/c/colossal_bust_of_ramesses_ii.aspx)
I learned that Ozymandias refers to Ramesses II, a pharaoh who reigned for 67
years and who “probably built more temples and sired more children than any
other Egyptian king”. This definitely helps add to the irony that is already
there in the poem—the boastful inscription is attached to nothing but crumbling
remains, and “Nothing beside remains.” The speaker describes the surroundings: “Round
the decay / Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare / The lone and level
sands stretch far away.” There’s nothing left of Ramesses II’s despair-worthy
works but “vast and trunkless legs of stone” and his “shattered visage,” which
lies “Half sunk” in the sand. If Ramesses II was the great pharaoh that
research suggests he is, then this poem is not only ironic but also somewhat
sad. Someone who did such great work for Egypt and was so proud of it is left
with only small, crumbling traces of his reign centuries later. Further
research would probably uncover more specific details of Ramesses II’s reign
and deepen the connection between the poem and the actual person.
The final poem I’d like to discuss
with reference to, well, references, is Andrew Feld’s “The Work.” I won’t copy
the entire blog post I did about the musical references in this poem (http://4420poetry.blogspot.com/2015/04/the-work-musical-references-and-song.html)
but I would like to talk about at least a couple of them. The poem is largely
about the song of birds of prey, as set up by the epigraph: “Birds of prey have
no song. –James Richardson.” The first reference Feld makes to music is that “The
eagle’s voice was sampled from Metal
Machine Music, an album that can drive roaches out of your apartment.” Lou
Reed’s Metal Machine Music is,
according to Wikipedia, “variously considered to be a joke, a grudging
fulfillment of a contractual obligation, or an early example of noise music.” I
think the idea of “noise music” is definitely important to this poem. Birds of
prey, if this reference is to be believed, do not have a beautiful song like a nightingale
might. They might, in fact, just make noise that sounds sort of like garbled
garbage rather than a whistle-able tune.
This idea is reinforced in the final
musical reference of the poem, “all 17 minutes of Sister Ray.” Again turning to
Wikipedia for cursory knowledge, I found that this song was by the Velvet
Underground, and member Lou Reed (the same as above) has said that the lyrics
were basically a joke—“it has eight characters in it and this guy gets killed
and nobody does anything.” It hardly sounds like something beautiful or
purposeful, and I think Feld wanted the reader to explore this reference in the
context of songs of birds of prey. Based on the poem as a whole, it seems
really important to Feld that the reader look up these references and
internalize their possible meanings related to the idea of bird song,
particularly the musical references. Without at least some cursory research,
the poem turns into a bit of a “list” of things, and I don’t think that was
Feld’s intent. He gave us specific ideas and concepts to look into to influence
our ideas of the songs of birds of prey, and finished by telling us, “Expand
your definition of song.” I think that’s exactly what these references have us
do as readers.
Ultimately, I think that poets using
references in their poems or writing poems that age into having references
makes us grow as readers. We have to stretch ourselves and at least click over
into a new Google tab, or fire up Wikipedia to gain enough cursory knowledge to
better understand what the poet and poem are trying to get across. It’s a
really interesting exercise, and always makes me feel like I’ve really
accomplished something in reading poetry. That’s definitely something I loved
about this class, learning and growing as a reader of poetry.

No comments:
Post a Comment