First off, sorry for the late post on this. It's just that I've been reading it again for this project and felt like I had to share my thoughts on it after reading it again.
The first few times I read it, I could really only scratch the surface of it. Like, "Wow, that girl sounds rude." But then I started to pick up on the smaller things that Pound snuck in there, like the use of "emotional anemia." I know it's already been discussed what anemia is, but for formality's sake: the Oxford English Dictionary described it as "a condition in which there is a deficiency of red cells or of haemoglobin in the blood, resulting in pallor and weariness." So this girl, this thin, pale, skein of loose silk, has a pale and weary emotion about her. Not only this, but Pound says it's not her choice to be that way -- "In her is the end of breeding," he says. Back in that day and age, the higher classes of Britain were super strict about only marrying within your class. Unfortunately, because there weren't a lot of higher class people, it meant there was a small pool from which to choose your spouse, so inbreeding was a huge problem, and was the cause of many medical conditions -- including anemia. She knows her fate of marrying someone she probably doesn't want to marry, and is wandering around, hoping for someone to talk to her. But at the same time, that's exactly what she fears, since it was so ghastly in that time period for classes to be mixing, even just through conversation. She's stuck and doesn't know what to do. One part of her yearns to make her own choices and speak to whome she wants, but the other part is terrified of what society has done and will do to make sure she never listens to the first part of herself.
No comments:
Post a Comment