Monday, February 9, 2015

"My Last Duchess"

Firstly did anyone else become uneasy as the poem progressed?
After my first reading I was reminded of the huge wave of murder/ emo/ screamo songs that were, and to some point still are, popularly themed around killing a loved one based on no longer being interested. The fact that he has a curtain that controls who see his Duchess was disgusting to me. Skin came to mind. The constant reminded that the Duchess looks like she is alive(2,46-7) just drives how much I did not want to be in the same room with the painting as much as the speaker. The more I read the poem the more the curtain became as much apart of this evil as the speaker. I think that the curtain is a symbol of how foolish humans are in that we believe our own lies. He regards the painting as a perfect version of the Duchess, and uses the curtain as a reminder of the control he has over her. I think the curtain is there to show that no one truly has true or total control over anything. The curtain is motion as it moves to be opened and closed, while the painting can not move, but was created from motion of strokes just as he most likely did as he killed her. So the constant motion surrounding the painting which gives it power contrasts with what the speaker seems to think he was expelled all together.

The song that came to mind if anyone knows it was "Ride the Wings of Pestilence" by From First To Last.

No comments:

Post a Comment