Having read this poem before I’ve already looked pretty in
depth into the historical context of the poem and so for this post I thought it
would be more interesting to focus on another aspect of the poem for analysis.
What I found most interesting this read through is words the white maid, the main character
in this 3rd person close perspective, uses to disarm the violent nature of her
husband’s acts. Even from the first line of the poem she is described as understanding
the situation as a ballad. The fact that a poem about her thoughts of the
situation couldn’t fit into the form of a ballad gives us an ironic look into
how her understanding of the world is limited. The disarming language only
continues when she describes her husband as the Fine Prince and Emmett Till as
the Dark Villain. This functions to illustrate the privilege a dominate culture
is allotted to define both history and the other. It is only because of their
cultural position that the white family can continue to live life unhindered by
the tragedy they caused. But the white maid as a women is still removed from
the ultimate position of privilege. This is why later in the narrative we can
see cracks in her understanding start to develop. When she sees her child hit
by her husband the story begins to rupture and she can see how that violence
may come back to affect her.
That said, I think this interpretation is limited by my less
than extensive knowledge of ballads and am interested in how an interpretation focusing
on the references to ballads might differ from this one. I also think my interpretation could benefit from an exploration of the similarities between the two mothers as the hiding of burnt bacon suggests that even before he hit her child that she felt uncomfortable with the power dynamic between her husband and her.
No comments:
Post a Comment