Thursday, April 30, 2015

Black Swan Theory

    Upon reading "Black Swan" I was intrigued by the image of the black swan itself. It's so specific and slightly obscure that of course it had to be intentional. So like any scholar, I took to google. After sifting through links to Black Swan the movie, I found something interesting. There is what's called "Black Swan Theory." This theory is "a metaphor that describes an event that comes as a surprise, has a major effect, and is often inappropriately rationalized after the fact." (wikipedia) I found this to be fitting, given the relation of the black swan to the birth of the boy in the poem. Pregnancy can come at a great surprise to a woman and it is one of the most major life events possible. It is very possible that the narrator is telling the boy the tale of her unplanned pregnancy and his creation.
    At it's core, the black swan theory deals with the frailty of systems, whether they be philosophical, logical, etc. The black swan of the woman's pregnancy shatters the way in which she lives her life, everything she knew and believed is now changed because of the boy. Before the boy and the swan, there was a "strange garden" that could represent her life pre-pregnancy, and when the boy wishes that he was never born the image of the garden (and the life she lived before him) reappear "shadowed and more strange."
    Lastly, while perusing google results for "black swan" I found out that black swan goslings are actually born with white down. The narrator makes note of the baby's "skin/ so white it was not like the skin of a boy at all." The boy is a gosling of the black swan; he is a human manifestation of the surprise pregnancy. 

5 comments:

  1. Additionally to an idea of pre/post pregnancy life the white to black transformation might be viewed as the transformation one undergoes from innocence to experience. Like the goslings children appear so different from their mature adult counterparts. Though, in time, they transform (perhaps "darkening") and the cycle repeats itself. Also to be explored are issues of cyclicality, futility, sexual awakening, swan as a symbol of love, multiple topological portrayals of the color black, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that makes so much more sense than some of the stuff I found when looking for black swans and birth! Should've looked harder, I guess :)
    You and Collin both have really good points. I definitely think it's a poem about transformation and change, and I really like what the Black Swan Theory brings to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so interesting! I'm really glad you shared this, because I was wondering about this as well. I really like how you related the black swan theory to pregnancy in this work. It does seem to fit very well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your reading of the poem very much. Frankly, I felt totally at a loss to make sense of it, but your explanations really work. I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "The feathered breast and the bare breast breathing as one" seems to agree with your intuitive reading. I can definitely see the confusion and complexity of the "black swan theory" playing a roll in the mother's life. It's an event that totally uprooted her consciousness, despite the fact that she "looked for him a long time." The poem seems to represent a give and take from the cycle of life through the juxtaposition of human error (e.g. childish, naive melancholy and perhaps unexpected pregnancy?) with the "things of such beauty" such as procreation. This is made physical when the child and a "giant bird / With burning feathers" stand as great figures in front of "a pond of incredible blackness."

    ReplyDelete