Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Shakespeare Sonnet 15

Ahh the joys of Shakespearean literature!  Sonnet 15, is in Iambic Pentameter much like many of Shakespeare’s other sonnets. His sonnets are written in 14 lines. In the three quatrains the poet establishes a theme or problem and then resolves it in the final two lines, called the couplet. The rhyme scheme is abab cdcd efef. The couplet has the rhyme scheme gg. This sonnet structure is typically named the English sonnet or the Shakespearean sonnet. The first line is simply saying life is only perfect in moments, and those moments do not seem to last because life is always changing. The huge stage he refers to in line 3 is the world as we see it.  The next line “whereon the stars in secret influence comment” refers to men’s actions as they are applied by the stars, stars didn’t predict actions of men but were said to have some degree of effect on their actions. Lines 5 to 8 are a conceit based on flowers. I think my favorite part of this poem is the last two lines “And all in war with time for love of you, As he takes from you, I engraft you new.” He is speaking for a friend, and saying that even though you’re decaying because time never stops, I’ll keep putting you into my works and your youth will go on, forever.  

4 comments:

  1. I found it interesting that Sonnet 15 could be written for someone with whom the speaker had a completely platonic relationship; nowhere is the sex of the person being immortalized revealed, nor is the nature of the relationship between speaker and subject. Whenever I think of a sonnet or poem written to immortalize a person, I think of a man or woman seeking to do so for their lover. This is an interesting, rare exception - probably the only exception I've encountered personally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking the same thing, but the thing that took me by surprise is how he starts the sonnet talking about one thing and in the second quatrain he shifts to the other end of the spectrum almost giving the reader insight into how much he cares for this person. As Shakespeare thinks about the entirety of the life he channels those thoughts into this person. Best ending couplet I have ever come across in my reading of sonnets. #TeamSonnet

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoy this poem and the part that always sticks with me is the final line you've referenced. The phrasing of "engraft you new," to me implies that the immortalization isn't just of Shakespeare's companion but instead their friendship. The poem is vague enough each reader can change the subject of the poem to fit into a relationship they have. Therefore i think the more important issue of the poem is remembering their relationship as the poem is to vague to tie itself to one single person for eternity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also interesting to consider what engrafting implies: Shakespeare compares the work of poetry to the manipulation of nature by human agents (those who graft limbs from one tree onto another). What is the implication of this assertion about poetry's capacity to trump mortality?

    ReplyDelete