I had a hard time getting a clear image of what is happening
in the poem because the language in the poem is difficult so I thought I would
write about my process of understanding the poem. I first looked up the
definition for Arras and discovered that it is a tapestry typically used to
conceal an alcove. So, something
like this:
Once I had this image in my head it was easier to understand
what was happening in the poem. I thought the bird had accidently flown into
some curtains and got stuck. Lines 5-9 explain why the bird got stuck in the
first place. I believe the tapestry had an image of a Grove with birds flying
woven into it which is why the bird mistook it for a place to “passe the
scortchings of the sultry Noon”. Line 8, “where imitated Fowl their pinnions
ply” was confusing to me at first. I discovered that pinnions is another word
for wings and “ply” means to work”. So the tapestry contains images of fake
birds flying high which, inspires the actual bird to out fly them in lines
10-11, All the outstrip’s (move faster than) and with a moments pride/ Their
understation silent does deride. “Understation” was the only word I could not
really define but, I think those lines are essentially saying the bird succeeded
in out flying the birds and derides the fake bird because of her success….until
she hits the ceiling and then the window. The bird continues to “Flutter
in endless circles of dismay”
until someone lets it out through the “casement” (window).

No comments:
Post a Comment