I had some trouble getting into this poem, especially because of the dedication: "To Christ Our Lord." I spent some time thinking about it and tried to think of other poems dedicated to Christ/God, and finally came up with an answer: Psalms were often poems addressing or dedicated to God, right? After Googling "Psalms about birds," I came up with Psalm 104, and saw a bit of similarity between it and "The Windhover."
Specifically, I found that the imagery used to describe the Lord in the psalm was similar to some of that used to describe the bird in Hopkins' poem. Psalms 104:2-3 reads: "The Lord wraps himself in light as with a garment; he stretches out the heavens like a tent and lays the beams of his upper chambers on their waters. He makes the clouds his chariot and rides on the wings of the wind." I feel like the Falcon's flight is described similarly: "in his riding / Of the rolling level underneath him steady air, and striding / High there, how he run upon the rein of a wimpling wing / In his ecstasy!" It's actually kind of hard to pick just one bit to quote, because the whole poem is about the way the falcon moves.
Anyway, I'm not entirely sure what to make of this. The poem is dedicated "To Christ Our Lord," but is it also maybe about Him? Both the Lord and the Falcon seem to ride "on the wings of the wind," so it's possible.
Anybody have any thoughts?
No comments:
Post a Comment