Monday, January 26, 2015

Enjambments and the Uncertianty they Create- Robert Frost's "Home Burial"



“He saw her from the bottom of the stairs/Before she saw him” (line 1-2). In first sentence of the poem, the tone is set as uncertain and tense, thanks to the enjambment. It makes it clear that the wife is trying to avoid the husband, although it is not clear why. The whole poem is wrought with enjambments and with each enjambment, uncertainty.
I’ve always had a soft spot for narrative poetry, although the enjambments in this particular poem drive me nuts, probably because I am more of a prose writer than verse one. I think the enjambments are meant to heighten tensions in certain parts of the poems, but I noticed in most in the beginning six lines of the poem.
The broken-up style of those few lines leave the reader in confusion, as the line ends with something but the beginning of the next line adds some new layer to the previous line. This confusion and uneasiness about the enjambments also reflects the confusion and uneasy tension in the poem between the husband and the wife, who clearly do not understand each others’ emotions over the loss of their child and their rocky relationship with each other. 

No comments:

Post a Comment